Monday, June 28, 2010

My Forever Came Today

My first racial experience took place in a small farming community in Northern Ontario in the mid 70's. The population of this town at that time was 500 people who were all white. I do not remember there being any other nationalities in the community until the mid 80's.

For my birthday every year since since the age of 5, I recieved a Jackson 5 record from my parents as a gift. I had my own stereo complete with speakers and a record player in my bedroom. I can remember laying on my bed listening to Michael's voice singing "Forever Came Today" and wishing he was singing to me. I used to peer into his eyes on the "Forever Michael" record cover and kiss him. I planned to marry him when I grew up. It never dawned on me that this would never happen...a) because he was rich and famous and could have any girl he chose...b) he was much older than I was...14 yrs to be exact and c) he was Black and I was White...a huge no no back then.

One day when I was around the age of 7, I invited 3 friends up to my bedroom to listen to my stereo. I, of course, put on a Jackson 5 song (I believe it was ABC) and started to dance. Someone asked who was playing. (They all listened to Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton who both were very popular at that time). I held up my album cover and said it was the Jackson 5 and that I was in love with Michael. The 3 girls looked at each other with disgust on their faces. One girl said EWWW. I asked what was wrong...and the girl replied that he was Black.

I remember feeling really disappointed, not that I had to stop listening to his music to fit in, but disappointed that they didn't see and hear what I did, that they were judging him because of his skin and not is talent, something that the rest of the world did up until his death. From that early age I knew that this was wrong.

Their criticism of him only made me love him more. He became mine. I didn't have to share him. He was there during the nights when my parents fought with each other, when i had no one to tell my problems to. He was there when my parents finally divorced and we had to move to a bigger city so my mom could work.

Then the unthinkable happened...The album "Thriller" was released and Michael was no longer mine. He belonged to the World. He would not only become a Legend but a Supernova...and completely out of my reach forever...

Forever Came Today

click above link

Jesus walked on Water...but Michael Danced on Air...

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you decided to do this! Good start J

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I met Kim in Phoenix in 1980, she had a Michael Jackson album "Ben"? that we listened to quite often while we talked till the wee hours of the morning. Really good memories.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You still can't beat the Supreme's version.

    I had a crush on Linda Ronstadt once, but we traveled to different beats.

    ReplyDelete